An Indian man has died after reportedly suffering an allergic reaction during a hair transplant.
Shrawan Kumar Choudhary underwent the procedure at a private clinic in Mumbai, according to local reports.
The 43-year-old, who ran a logistics firm, died the day after the 12-hour procedure, The Times of India reports.
Mr Choudhary, who allegedly had not told his family about the procedure, paid 500,000 rupees (£5,400) for the hair transplant.
The doctor who treated him told police he asked for 9,000 grafts in one sitting - three times more than recommended.
It is currently unclear whether Dr Vikas Halwai, the dermatologist who treated Mr Choudhary, agreed to the request.
However, Dr Halwai did admit to police that Mr Choudhary began to develop his complications after 3,700 grafts.
The hair transplant began last Thursday evening, after Mr Choudhary underwent checks. It is thought these were standard safety tests.
By 2.30am on the Friday, he started to suffer from neck pain. Dr Halwai claimed he dished out painkillers and antibiotics.
Mr Choudhary was then whisked away to Global Hospital, Parel, when he began having breathing difficulties.
He died on Saturday at Hiranandani Hospital, after his friend took him there on Friday.
Mr Choudhary's death has been listed as accidental by the local police force, however a probe has been launched to get to the bottom of it.
No cause of death has yet been found. However, The Times of India claim doctors have said a severe allergic reaction - known as an anaphylactic shock - is the most likely explanation.
The Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons in India claimed only a 'few' hair transplant patients will suffer breathing difficulties.
A spokesperson for the body said: 'Patients often try to pressure doctors to cover large areas in one sitting.
'We do not plan more than 2,500-3,000 grafts in one sitting and make sure it is completed in six to eight hours.
'Prolonged time and extended anaesthesia can compound problems.'
One hair clinic in the UK states the maximum daily yield of grafts is up to 3,000.
The Association of Hair Restoration Surgeons in India revealed Dr Halwai had been doing transplants for the last eight years.
Dr Anil Garg, a member of the body, said: 'Number of hours depending on individual’s capacity and may not pose a direct risk to life.'
However, he said the surgery can prove risky if not performed in a sterile condition. No allegations were made about the cleanliness of Dr Halwai’s clinic.