Footballer left blind in his right eye after parasite burrowed into his cornea

July 10, 2019  15:44

Nick Humphreys, 29, from the English city of Shrewsbury went blind in one eye as he did not remove contact lenses during a shower, Daily Mail reported

In January 2018, he noticed a painful scratch on his eye which he managed with eye drops while opticians tested for an infection.

“The results came back positive for Acanthamoeba keratitis, an infection from a small organism found in water that is able to get into the eye through a small cut - often caused by contact lenses,” the source noted.

Nick underwent two surgeries, including transplantation of the amniotic membrane, and now he is waiting for a cornea transplant.

“I've lost 18 months of my life because of something as simple as showering with contacts in,” he said.

Follow NEWS.am Medicine on Facebook and Twitter


 
  • Video
 
 
  • Event calendar
 
  • Archive
 
  • Most read
 
  • Find us on Facebook
 
  • Poll
How much are you ready to pay monthly for health insurance?
7-10% of salary
10 000 AMD and more
Up to 10 000 drams
Up to 5000 drams
I don’t want to pay for insurance